At the reminder of a close friend, I’ve been SUPER absent from the blog lately. Sorry about that. There has been so so so so much going on lately, and with summer being my busy season for work I’ve completely forgot to keep you all updated. The biggest news (if it wasn’t obvious from the photos above) is that we’re expecting a new baby! We found out this spring and while we’ve definitely been excited about it, I have to say being pregnant with #2 is just sooooo much different than the first go ’round. I don’t really have the time to just sit and think about the new baby all the time. Or take naps whenever I feel exhausted. Or hours to ponder motherhood and how I feel about certain things. I’ve got a kid to feed and clean and entertain…. and probably start potty training for real. I’ve got a house that pretty much explodes every time I turn my back for 5 seconds. I’ve got a business that needs my full-time attention without the full-time hours. I’ve got a mind that I’m trying very very hard not to lose.
But, I’m so very grateful for every one of those things. They make my life and my heart so full. Crazy, but full. Well… maybe I could do without the exploding mess. Yep, I definitely could.
One thing I’ve always loved about blogging is that it’s been a means of processing thoughts. Words just kind of spill out and I get to find out new things about myself as I’m writing them out for you. So, here’s how I’m feeling about the new little that will be joining our family in November:
- It’s a boy! At the beginning of this pregnancy I was, for various reasons, really hoping for another girl. But God has been doing a huge work in my heart to change that and the day we found out the gender I was truly excited about having a son.
- Excited though I may be about having a baby boy, I am slightly terrified about being a boy mom. I assume I’ll grow into it, but at the moment I have no idea how this is going to play out. I’m seeing a lot of noise and dirt in my future.
- We’re naming him Aslan, which after a very long name choosing process we loved the moment we heard it. Using his name already has, to us, given him an identity and made us sooo much more excited about meeting our little lion man.
- For those who thought girl’s clothes were cuter than boy’s clothes, you’re wrong. I’ve bought so many clothes for him already and I just melt when I see cute little boy clothes in the stores. I also love that with having a boy I don’t have to fight so hard against pink + glitter + ruffles.
- I am not very pleased about the concept of a double stroller.
- I have no idea what our trips to Canada are going to be like with two kids so close in age. I have friends who travel with multiple small kids regularly, and I am completely in awe of their superhuman-ness.
- Aslan is craaaazy active already. He moves way more than I remember Hadley moving. It makes me feel like he knows I don’t have all the time in the world to think about this pregnancy, so he’s there with a helpful kick to the ribs to remind me that he’s there. And my world is about to change yet again.
In one week we’re now heading off to Canada for a month and I get a bit of an extended summer. But so much has happened already and I’ve been really good about taking my camera out as much as possible so I’ve got lots of photos to share with you. I think I’ll try this week to recap our summer so far, though probably more with photos than with words.
Thank you to everyone who comes back to read Vauvasaurus even through our periods of sporadic posting. Thank you to everyone who has sent me emails telling me that they love to read about our family’s adventures and my own ramblings. You guys are the best, really.